Saturday 23 February 2019

Dementia.. My nannas companion. An Insight.

Dementia we've all heard of it right? According to the Alzermerizers society they are currently 850,000 people in the UK living with dementia. That is set to rise to over 1 million by 2025. But yet we are still no closer to finding a cure. I really do wish we was though.


My family has been affected directly due to dementia. My lovely 66 year old grandma ( nanna as I like to call her) who's heart is filled with love and eyes full of hope was diagnosed with vascular dementia 5 years ago. Also with previous experience working in community care and currently working as a care assistant dementia is a huge part of my daily life.

I first started noticing slight changes in my nannas memory around 5 years ago. At first we put this down to getting older. But as the signs became more apparent we knew there was something not quite right. On a trip to the welsh town of Barmouth for a family christening my nanna and I were stopping in a static caravan. It was lovely little thing, old fashioned but spacious and very inviting. We were putting away the weekends food shop and my nanna was admanent we'd forgot to buy bread ( Jam on toast always been a staple breakfast of mine) We hadn't in fact forgotten to buy bread my nanna bless her had already popped it away in the cupboard. This replayed a couple of times and I could see the frustration in my nannas eyes and decided to leave it at. Later on this trip I went swimming with my nanna for this first time. It was a momentous occasion for the both of us. After the lovely swim we was walking back to the caravan and my nanna realised she hadn't got her purse and didn't recall where she last had it. I remember seeing her putting in her locker at the swimming pool on the site we were staying. So me like the mad girl I am, I ran. I ran back begged the employees to let me go check just to see if it was there and as I assumed it was. ( Thank god it was) On returning to my nanna, purse in hand and very sweaty after my impromptu run. My nanna didn't know why I had gone and was adamant the purse was in her bag. These little occurrences although some may seem to think are very small were where I first suspected that something was wrong.

On returning home I mentioned these occurrences to my mum. Who later mentioned it to Gordon. ( My nannas devoted partner and soulmate)

I asked my nanna and Gordon a few questions to get their look on what its like to live with dementia on the daily?

What is the hardest thing about living with dementia?
Not remembering birthdays, appointment's and special occasions.  Also forgetting how to do things I love. I have knitted since I was a little girl aged 10. I now no longer can knit as I cant follow a pattern and that is hard to deal with.

How did you feel when you was diagnosed?
Terrible. 'oh no got dementia' 

Is there benefits of living with dementia?
I forget things that upset me and don't dwell on them like others would if they didn't have dementia.
Forgetting people I don't like. ( Hehe)

How do you feel about the future ?
Worried. Worried about losing memories and what I'll forget. I know I'll get taken care off its not that, that worries me.

Advice for someone newly diagnosed with dementia? 
Make a memeroy book / box 


Gordons perspective  -
How did you feel when nanna  was diagnosed?
Accepted it, and showing signs for ages so sort of already knew.

Hardest part about living with it from a partners perspective?
Frustration, constantly reminding and answsering that same question. 

Benefits of dementia?
None

Advice for partner or loved one of someone with dementia?
Have patience. 

How do you feel about future from a loved ones perspective?
Try not to think about it, cant dwell on what might or might not happen.

I hope this post has raised awareness on dementia and what it is like to live with on the daily. If you would like to find out some more information on dementia the Alzheimer's Society has lots of information here - https://www.alzheimers.org.uk/
Thankyou for reading. Stay safe.
Love Amy x 

<a href="https://www.bloglovin.com/blog/20036299/?claim=ch33t8954vv">Follow my blog with Bloglovin</a>



SHARE:

No comments

Post a Comment

© Life Unfiltered with Amy . All rights reserved.
Blogger templates by pipdig